Proactive monitoring is crucial. Detecting anomalies and responding quickly can prevent minor issues from escalating into major incidents. That's where our Alerting steps in.
Configurable Types of Alerts & Escalations
Threshold Alerts: Perfect for scenarios where you need to be notified when a metric crosses a certain predefined threshold. For instance, if your application's response time goes beyond a set limit, it's time to get an alert.
Relative Alerts: Want to monitor changes in metrics relative to their historical data? Whether it's an unexpected drop in sales, a surge in new user signups, or any other relative metric anomaly, we've got you covered.
Anomaly detection: Use this alerting method if you're unsure about what threshold to set. It will notify you about any significant deviation from the predicted value of the series.
Escalation Targets: Ensure that critical alerts reach the right teams or individuals. Whether it's your on-call engineer, a specific team, the escalation target guarantees your alerts land where they matter most.
Setting Up Alerts
Step 1: Create a Dashboard
- Go to Dashboards → click on Create Dashboard
Step 2: Create a Chart
- In the top right corner, click on the + Button (Create Chart).
- Write a Live Tail query or an SQL query
- Live Tail query only applies for the Live Tail chart type.
Step 3: Create and Configure Alerts
- On the right-side options, click on the Triangle symbol (Alerts).
- Choose Threshold or Percentage change.
- Define the alert condition.
Step 4: Advanced Settings (Optional)
- Under Advanced settings, configure who should we alert.
- By default, an email will be sent.
- You can directly integrate Better Stack Uptime to enable Slack, MS Teams, or the Advanced escalation policies.
- Set the Confirmation period.
- By default, Confirmation period is set to “Immediate” and your alert is triggered immediately.
- Set the Recovery period.
- By default, Recovery period is set to “Immediate” and your alert is resolved immediately.
Step 5: Save Chart
- Click on Save chart.
That's it! We will notify the team or escalate through the predefined channels whenever the conditions are met. 🎉
To provide a comprehensive solution, Better Stack Logs seamlessly integrates with Better Stack Uptime.
What are the main advantages?
Automated Incident Creation: No need to manually log incidents. Once an alert is triggered, an incident is automatically created in Better Stack Uptime, streamlining the issue-tracking process.
Collaborative Problem Solving: With all incident details available in one place, teams can collaborate more efficiently. They'll have immediate access to relevant data, logs, and timelines, aiding faster resolution.
Integrated Communication Channels: Ensure that all stakeholders, from developers to management, are kept in the loop. Better Stack Uptime's integrated communication tools keep everyone updated on incident status, reducing resolution time and enhancing transparency.
Post-Incident Analysis: After resolving an incident, use Uptime to conduct a thorough analysis and create a post-mortem. Understand root causes, identify areas for improvement, and ensure that similar issues are mitigated in the future.