However, some opt in for dedicated URLs, like GitHub with githubstatus.com . These are usually larger companies with fully customized status page solutions.
Get started with status pages
A status page is a dedicated page that lets you inform your users about current outages and scheduled maintenance on your service(s).
The main purpose of a status page is to allow users to check if a given service is operational without the need to contact customer support directly.
For company employees, an internal status page provides the same benefit - here it's the developer teams who save time that would otherwise be spent on questions from department.
Public vs. private status pages
In some cases, you don't want to show the system status to the public, and would rather have a private status page instead. To create a private status page, use the password protection to only allow chosen people to access it.
This way, you can easily create a dedicated private status page for your internal stakeholders, specific clients, or customers.
Creating your first status page
Before starting with the status page, it's best to set up the monitors for the services whose status you want to communicate. Once you have the monitors ready, let's create your first status page.
- Go to Status page → Create a Status page.
Step 1: Choosing a subdomain
- Enter your company name (it will be visible in the top left section of the status page)
- Choose a .betteruptime.com subdomain or configure a custom subdomain
Step 2: Personalization
- Personalize your page with your website URL, logo, and more
Step 3: Selecting services and creating structure
- Click the Structure tab at the top of the page.
- Drag and drop monitors from the Available to the Selected columns using the
- Feel free to edit the public name or add a monitor description.
Step 4: Creating a status page
- Now that we have finished the basic setup, we can click Save changes
- The status page is now live and available at your chosen URL
Next steps to enhance your status page 🚤
- Embed status page announcements into your site to communicate incidents directly in your product.
- Build upon our incident communication templates , and be prepared when incidents occur.