What Does the “yield” Keyword Do in Python?

Better Stack Team
Updated on November 23, 2023

To better understand what yield does, you need first to understand what generator and iterable are.

What is iterable

When you use a list or list-like structure, you can read the values from the list one by one. This is called iteration.

list_of_numbers = [1,10,100,1000]

# iterating over the list
for i in list_of_numbers:
    print(i)

This is why in many languages, the iterating variable is usually named i, but it can be named however you like. In short, basically, anything that can be used in for _ in _ is iterable.

What is generator

Generators are special kinds of iterables. They don’t store the values in memory, but rather generate the value on the fly. This means you can only iterate over them once.

generator = (x + 1 for x in range(4))

for i in generator:
    print(i)

What is yield

Finally the yield keyword. yield is used like return but instead of returning a single value it returns a generator. This is very useful when your function will return a huge set of values that you don’t want to store in memory.

def create_generator(n):
    for i in range(n):
        yield n + 1

generator = create_generator(4)

for i in generator:
    print(i)

In the example above, when calling the function create_generator, the function doesn’t return, instead, it creates a generator object.

Make your mark

Join the writer's program

Are you a developer and love writing and sharing your knowledge with the world? Join our guest writing program and get paid for writing amazing technical guides. We'll get them to the right readers that will appreciate them.

Write for us
Writer of the month
Marin Bezhanov
Marin is a software engineer and architect with a broad range of experience working...
Build on top of Better Stack

Write a script, app or project on top of Better Stack and share it with the world. Make a public repository and share it with us at our email.

community@betterstack.com

or submit a pull request and help us build better products for everyone.

See the full list of amazing projects on github