How Do I Get into a Docker Container’s Shell?

Better Stack Team
Updated on August 1, 2022

If you want to explore containers file system it simply wan to get an access to containers shell, you can use one of the following options

Using the docker exec command

Docker version 1.3 or newer supports the docker exec command. This command can run the new process in an already running container. This means you can run bash /bin/bash in the container state like this:

docker exec -t -i container_name /bin/bash

Using Snapshotting

You can peek into the docker file system by following these steps:

1. Find the id of your running container

docker ps
  1. Create an image (snapshot) from the container file system

docker commit 12345678904b5 mysnapshot
  1. Explore the file system using the bash

docker run -t -i mysnapshot /bin/bash

This way, you can evaluate the filesystem of the running container at the precise time moment. The container is still running, no future changes are included.

To delete the snapshot, run the following command:

docker rmi mysnapshot

Using the ssh

If you want continuous access to the docker file system, you can install the sshd to your container and run the sshd daemon:

docker run -d -p 22 mysnapshot /usr/sbin/sshd -D

To see to which port to connect, run the following command:

docker ps

Make your mark

Join the writer's program

Are you a developer and love writing and sharing your knowledge with the world? Join our guest writing program and get paid for writing amazing technical guides. We'll get them to the right readers that will appreciate them.

Write for us
Writer of the month
Marin Bezhanov
Marin is a software engineer and architect with a broad range of experience working...
Build on top of Better Stack

Write a script, app or project on top of Better Stack and share it with the world. Make a public repository and share it with us at our email.

community@betterstack.com

or submit a pull request and help us build better products for everyone.

See the full list of amazing projects on github