Excessive number of sleeping processes in CentOS - how to diagnose?

Better Stack Team
Updated on November 9, 2023

An excessive number of sleeping processes in CentOS could be an indication of various issues or simply a normal state depending on the context. These sleeping processes, often represented by the state "S" in tools like top or ps, typically indicate that the process is waiting for an event to occur.

Here's a guide to diagnose and address an excessive number of sleeping processes in CentOS:

1. Identify the Processes:

1. Check with top or htop: Use top or htop to observe the list of processes. Look for processes in the "S" state (Sleeping). Pay attention to which processes are numerous and consuming resources.
  2. ps Command: Use ps aux or other variations to list all processes and their states. You can filter this output to see only sleeping processes by using ps aux | grep S.

2. Determine Normal vs. Abnormal:

1. Normal State: Having some sleeping processes is usual as it indicates processes waiting for an event (e.g., I/O completion, signals). Most of the time, this isn't a concern.
  2. Abnormal State: An excessively high number of sleeping processes could indicate issues such as a resource bottleneck, I/O problems, misbehaving applications, or other system-level problems.

3. Check System Resources:

1. Resource Utilization: Analyze the system's resource usage, particularly CPU, memory, disk I/O, and network I/O. Use tools like top, vmstat, iostat, or sar to identify resource bottlenecks.

4. Check for Specific Services or Applications:

1. Identify Culprit Services: Review services or applications that might be causing the high number of sleeping processes. Consider restarting or monitoring these services for any abnormalities.

5. Investigate Logs:

1. System Logs: Check system logs (/var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog, and service-specific logs) for any error messages or warnings indicating underlying issues.

6. Performance Monitoring and Profiling:

1. Performance Monitoring Tools: Use tools like perf, strace, or lsof to trace system calls, monitor process activities, and detect any anomalies.

7. Troubleshoot:

1. Restart Services: If specific services are causing the issue, try restarting them.
  2. Update/Reconfigure: Consider updating software or reconfiguring services causing the problem.
  3. Check Disk and I/O: High I/O wait times could be causing the excessive sleeping processes. Investigate disk performance and I/O metrics.

8. Seek Expert Help:

If the issue persists and you're unable to diagnose the problem, consider seeking help from experienced system administrators or support communities for CentOS or the specific applications causing trouble.

Addressing an excessive number of sleeping processes might involve a combination of resource monitoring, troubleshooting specific services, and identifying potential system issues or misbehaving applications.

Got an article suggestion? Let us know
Explore more
Licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Make your mark

Join the writer's program

Are you a developer and love writing and sharing your knowledge with the world? Join our guest writing program and get paid for writing amazing technical guides. We'll get them to the right readers that will appreciate them.

Write for us
Writer of the month
Marin Bezhanov
Marin is a software engineer and architect with a broad range of experience working...
Build on top of Better Stack

Write a script, app or project on top of Better Stack and share it with the world. Make a public repository and share it with us at our email.

community@betterstack.com

or submit a pull request and help us build better products for everyone.

See the full list of amazing projects on github