How to Use All the Cores on Multi-Core Machines in node.js

Better Stack Team
Updated on April 4, 2024

Node.js is designed to be single-threaded, but you can take advantage of multi-core machines by utilizing the cluster module or by creating separate Node.js processes manually.

Using the cluster Module

The cluster module allows you to create child processes (workers) that share the same port, enabling load balancing across CPU cores. Here's a basic example:

const cluster = require('cluster');
const os = require('os');

if (cluster.isMaster) {
  // Fork workers
  for (let i = 0; i < os.cpus().length; i++) {
    cluster.fork();
  }

cluster.on('exit', (worker, code, signal) => {
    console.log(`Worker ${worker.process.pid} died`);
  });
} else {
  // Your application logic here
  const express = require('express');
  const app = express();

app.get('/', (req, res) => {
    res.send('Hello from worker ' + cluster.worker.id);
  });

app.listen(3000, () => {
    console.log(`Worker ${cluster.worker.id} running`);
  });
}

In this example, the master process forks child processes, each running a worker. Each worker is a separate instance of your application, and they can share the load.

Using Multiple Processes Manually

Another approach is to create multiple Node.js processes manually and distribute the workload. This can be done using a process manager like pm2 or by using tools like child_process to spawn multiple Node.js processes. Here's a simplified example:

const { fork } = require('child_process');
const os = require('os');

// Fork processes
for (let i = 0; i < os.cpus().length; i++) {
  const worker = fork('worker.js');
  console.log(`Forked worker ${worker.pid}`);
}

// worker.js
const express = require('express');
const app = express();

app.get('/', (req, res) => {
  res.send('Hello from worker ' + process.pid);
});

app.listen(3000, () => {
  console.log(`Worker ${process.pid} running`);
});

This example manually forks multiple Node.js processes, each running the same worker.js application.

Choose the method that best fits your application and deployment environment. Note that effective load balancing may require additional considerations, and the choice between these methods depends on your specific use case.

Got an article suggestion? Let us know
Explore more
Licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Make your mark

Join the writer's program

Are you a developer and love writing and sharing your knowledge with the world? Join our guest writing program and get paid for writing amazing technical guides. We'll get them to the right readers that will appreciate them.

Write for us
Writer of the month
Marin Bezhanov
Marin is a software engineer and architect with a broad range of experience working...
Build on top of Better Stack

Write a script, app or project on top of Better Stack and share it with the world. Make a public repository and share it with us at our email.

community@betterstack.com

or submit a pull request and help us build better products for everyone.

See the full list of amazing projects on github